Unless training is your job (you're a full time athlete), and you are training for an event, you will undoubtedly have other commitments to contend with. It maybe family, work, friends, social events, children or all of the above. For event planning you need to look at all these factors.
- How much time do you have?
- How much time do you want to commit to?
- What level are you entering into?
- Where have you got to get too and in how long?
- What is the final date and have you got others that need to come on board with your training? (This maybe training partners / group activity or club).
There are lots of other factors to consider like;
equipment / where you train / intensity / aerobic v strength work / sport specific training / flexibility / hydration / recovery.
Do you need it to be simple to follow or do you enjoy the challenge of the detail.
Each specific event and individual needs a bespoke programme.